"Mommy, I want to be a Princess Carrying a Ladybug"
That's what Star said when we started talking about Halloween costumes.
So, I executed. In September, while my in-laws were visiting, my mother-in-law and I went to the yarn store. I knew I was looking for something kind of like ribbon yarn. I ended up buying 2 yarns, from the sale section, to hold together. For the bodice, I basically followed a
with a ton of modifications. But, it got me what I wanted.
Here's a closeup of the dress in progress. The knitting took a lot of work. I knitted while commuting to and from work. The knit stitch is a seed stitch - knit 2, purl 2 - but you can't really see the stitch through the yarn. But, what the stitch adds to the bodice is a lot of stretchiness which is what I was aiming for.
I added a bunch of yarn overs, relatively evenly spaced, throughout the bottom of the bodice where I knew I wanted to hang my tulle.
While I was knitting the bodice, I had a few fittings with Star where I would hold up the top to make sure I was basically getting the size and shape that I was looking for.
After the knitting was done, I hung the tulle, and then I crocheted around the armholes and neck with the light pink tulle to bring some sort of cohesion to the dress.
I procured the ladybug from a seller on Etsy.
. If I ever have enough time and patience, I'd love to learn how to create stuffed animals this well.
At school, there was only 1 other student
wearing a homemade costume. For some reason, that surprised me, but we all seem to be busy parents and store-bought costumes are easy to find!
Star was proud to wear her costume. She told her friends that I made it for her. And, we put it in a special place in her room so she can wear it again - possibly without the ladybug accessory this time.